A travel of finding one's family origin's in this Merry-Go-Round World. On this blog I will hopefully help someone find themselves. My plan is to post Helpful hints and Links to places that will help them do just that.

24 February 2015

I've got two of same name, same birth same place what to do?

YEP,  been there and done this millions times.   Specially yesterday. Updating all of my tree I found more information on a distant cousin on my maternal side.   Go on Ancestry.com  and find all the listings,  scrolling through  YAY  found his birth.   continue  Find his death,    screech brakes theres another entry two down from him   Same person, Same birth Year,   Same Death Year, Different Months,  different Towns  but the towns are right next to each other.  ugh  which is the right one. 

This is one dilemma many Genealogist's come across.  most would say benefit of the dought would be the correct one is the one in the same town he has been living in.  Unless hes jumped around like mine.  Best thing to do as I do.  I attach the one I believe is the correct one, this one being the one in same town.  and make a copy of the other one so I have it.  and try to find more documentation on him. Unfortunately this being in another country then I am and not being able to get there to go to the archives and such,  you could either contact the Archives or keep digging through all the documents on your sites, Ancestry, Rootsweb, Familysearch......  

Of as some may do   benefit the dought and coincidental, the one in same town most would choose.  As many genealogist go by the its to coincidental that this one is passing in the town he has always been in.    Its a guessing game most of the time until the proof shows up.  BUT  as always  if you come across the same instance where you have two of the same and not sure.  Attach the one you believe and always make a copy of the other so you have it and then if you find out it is the correct one  you have it and its simply a delete old and add  instead of hunting it down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment